Thanks to Rodney Waples , here is a beautiful write up on our beloved school St Mary’s .We lived through some glorious years in this school and owe much to the Principal Rev Father Whyte and our teachers for shaping our formative years and building our value system .St Mary’s Year 11A.pdf
In 1930, under the Headmastership of Fr A J Vanderburg, S.S.J., the School motto – “Viriliter Age” meaning “Act Manly”, was adopted. The school was growing from strength to strength, and on April 21, 1915, the St Mary’s Hall was solemnly blessed by His Grace Archbishop J Aelen, the Manager of the School.
In 1916, new buildings were put up. The Science Laboratory was remodeled and was so well equipped and maintained as to earn the name “the Best Science Lab” for High Schools. Progress in studies and sports was rapid and soon St Mary’s won a place in the front ranks of European Boys Schools in the Presidency.
In October 1928, the Archdiocese handed over the management of the school to the Salesian Congregation. Rev Fr Eugene Mederlet, SDB, took over the Headmastership of the school. In June 1945, Rev Fr G P Whyte assumed charge as Principal and Correspondent. In 1959, a magnificent auditorium was built over the class-rooms.
Birth of the Alumni Association
On September 7, 1952, with the guidance of Rev Fr Whyte and the approval of the Manager of the School, His Grace, the Archbishop Dr Louis Mathias, the Alumni Association of St Mary’s was established.
In June 1960, Rev Bro Zachary, sdb, was appointed as Administrator. In 1962, a third floor was built over the old school building to house the laboratory and demonstration room.
On August 1, 1970, Rev Fr G P Whyte celebrated a silver jubilee double – 25 years of service in the vineyard of the Lord, and 25 years of service in the School. In 1972, Fr G P Whyte left for his homeland, Ireland and Fr John Peter, sdb, took his place.
In December 1973, Mr Bernard A Mathew, retired as Headmaster after 31 years of wonderful service in St Mary’s. He was succeeded by Mr M Emmanuel.
In June 1974, Rev Fr John Peter left St Mary’s and proceeded to Rome for higher studies. Rev Fr Ittyachen Majil, sdb, assumed charge as Principal and Correspondent. In May 1977, Fr Ittyachen was transferred, and Fr C.A. Bout, a former pupil of St Mary’s took over as Principal and Correspondent. In 1977, Mr M Emmanuel voluntarily retired and Mr L D’Cruz was appointed as Headmaster in his place. In 1978, His Grace, Dr R Arulappa, the owner and Manager of St Mary’s transferred the management of St Mary’s to the Salesian Congregation. The same year Mr L D’Cruz left St Mary’s for a posting in another school.
Always a step ahead
In 1978, Fr C A Bout took over as the Administrator, and Fr V V George, sdb, assumed charge as Principal and Headmaster. The year also marked 50 years of fruitful service put in by the Salesians of Don Bosco, and it was in the same year that the P.T.S.A. was started. In 1979, Fr V V George introduced the Higher Secondary Course (+2) in the school. In 1985, Rev Fr P J Sebastian, sdb, assumed charge as Principal and Headmaster. The same year the Archbishop of Madras-Mylapore handed over to the Salesians of Don Bosco, the school and Co-cathedral in perpetuity. In 1986, Fr K C Francis, sdb, was appointed Principal of the School and Mr D Paulraj, the Headmaster. Mr D Paulraj retired from service in 1987. Rev Fr Raphael John, sdb was appointed Principal and Headmaster of the school in 1991. In 1996, Rev Fr Joseph Fernandez sdb, also a aluminous, was appointed Headmaster of the School. Under his initiative, a new computer lab was established, the school library was shifted to the new block and remodeled to modern standards and a state-of-the audio-visual hall was set up.
From Strength to Strength
The present Principal, Rev Fr K J Antony, sdb, has taken over the Headmastership from June, 2002. Today, St Mary’s and St Paul’s have a total strength of 1600 students and 60 staff members. Together with the Management, they combine a complementary work force with a vibrant work culture. The School continues to forge ahead from strength to strength, keeping the Flag of St Mary’s flying ever higher and higher.